WHERE WE’VE BEEN

A LEGACY OF LIFE CHANGE FOR THE FUTURE

It’s a story that began with 49 people. Seeking God’s plan. Stepping forward with courage. When those 49 people faithfully established Mobberly Baptist Church, they couldn’t have possibly imagined what the next 80 years would bring.

Over eight decades, God has blessed each step of faith. Through dynamic and multi-faceted growth, the church has been built on a passion for reaching people. One focused mission now summarizes this commitment: PEOPLE LEADING PEOPLE INTO A LIFE-CHANGING, EVER-GROWING RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS CHRIST.

The faithfulness of Mobberly’s people has been evident in recent years, with well over 1,000 baptisms in the last six years, each representing a life changed for eternity. A history of financial commitment has not been dictated by economic or political climate, but has come through sacrificial giving across generations.

Historical Timeline

  • South Side Baptist Church Founded

    South Side Baptist ChurchOn Sunday, September 4, 1938, forty-nine members of the South Highland Mission, sponsored by the First Baptist Church of Longview, voted to form the South Side Baptist Church. The church was first pastored by Lester C. Bell.

  • C.L. Porter Called as Pastor

    In 1938, Rev. C.L. Porter was called as South Side Baptist's permanent pastor. He began his duties on Oct. 9 of that year.

  • South Side Baptist Church Becomes Mobberly Avenue Baptist Church

    The church purchases property on Mobberly Avenue and changes its name to Mobberly Avenue Baptist Church.

  • MABC Sanctuary Completed

    Original Sanctuary 1945The first sanctuary on the Mobberly Avenue Baptist Church campus is completed in 1945.

  • New Education Building

    A new education building on the Mobberly Avenue campus was completed in 1952.

  • New Auditorium

    MobberlyAveSanctuaryA new auditorium and sanctuary was completed on the Mobberly Avenue Baptist Church campus in 1957. The sanctuary would host worship gatherings from 1957-1992.

  • Rev. Barney Walker Called

    Rev. Barney Walker was called to pastor Mobberly Avenue Baptist Church in 1961.

  • Children’s Building Added

    A children's building containing a nursery and educational facilities for children through sixth grade was added to the Mobberly Avenue campus in 1963.

  • Rev. J. Dalton Havard Called

    Rev. J. Dalton Havard was called to pastor Mobberly Avenue Baptist Church in 1967. He would serve in that role until 1969.

  • Dr. Laney Johnson Called

    DrMrsJohnson

    Dr. and Mrs. Laney Johnson in 1990.

    In 1970, the longest pastoral tenure in Mobberly history began when Dr. Laney Johnson  was called to lead Mobberly Avenue Baptist Church. Dr. Johnson would serve as senior pastor until 2007. The impact of Dr. Johnson's God-given vision for the church has been felt locally, nationally and globally, as the gospel has been taken from Mobberly across the community and around the world through evangelism, missions mobilization and church expansion.

  • New Longview Campus Groundbreaking

    LongviewCampusGroundbreakingOn Oct. 5, 1980, ground was broken on the site of a second campus location on Loop 281 on the north side of Longview.

  • MABC Becomes Mobberly Baptist Church

    On March 6, 1981, Mobberly Avenue Baptist Church was officially renamed Mobberly Baptist Church.

  • Preschool/Children’s Building Added

    Mobberly expands its preschool and children's ministry with the addition of a dedicated children's building on the current Longview campus.

  • Worship Center Groundbreaking

    Mobberly breaks ground to build the Worship Center on the current Longview campus.

  • One Church, One Campus

    The Crossing WorshipWith the sale of the Mobberly Avenue property, a new era begins on September 13, 1992, when the Mobberly's congregation reunited, again meeting under one roof. The church worshiped in what is now The Crossing.

  • Worship Center Opens

    WorshipCenter3In July 1993, the reunited congregation celebrated God’s blessings and moved into the Worship Center. In the next two decades, the Worship Center would become the hub of all Sunday worship activities, eventually sending an HD video feed to multiple venues on two campuses and across the world on the internet.

  • Johnson Building Opens

    The Dr. Laney and Emily Johnson Building opened in February, 1999.  The building is the home to Mobberly's administrative offices and senior adult ministry.

  • Elevation Takes Youth Ministry To New Heights

    ElevationIn 2005, Elevation, a 25,000 square foot complex for Mobberly’s youth ministry, was dedicated. The complex has hosted concerts, worship services, Connect Groups and other events to engage junior high and high school students from across East Texas with the life-changing gospel of Jesus Christ.

  • Children’s Ministry Remodel Begins

    In 2006, Mobberly began remodeling the current children's building. The remodel would be completed two years later.

  • Dr. Glynn Stone Called

    GlynnStonepicDr. Glynn N. Stone, Jr., who had previously served as senior pastor at West Rome (Ga.) Baptist Church and associate pastor at Fielder Road Baptist Church (Arlington, Texas), was called to serve as Mobberly's fifth senior pastor in 2007.

  • Campaign for The Bridge

    In order to provide more space for children, adult Connect Group ministry, discipleship and  fellowship, a three year capital campaign called “The Bridge” was launched in September, 2008.

  • Worship Center Foyer Expansion

    In 2010, a foyer expansion providing additional gathering space, coffee bar, hospitality room, and covered drop-off area was completed.

  • Mobberly Launches New Worship Experience

    In the spring of 2010, a fourth worship service, called 9:30 Live, began meeting in the renovated gym. The worship gathering would later become known as The Crossing. It features live worship music and an HD simulcast of the pastor's message.

  • Building The Bridge

    In 2010, construction began on a two story educational building for children and adults, called The Bridge.

  • Planting In Alaska

    Mobberly plants True North Church in Anchorage, Alaska. True North has grown to an average attendance of over 200, launched a second site in Girdwood, Alaska, and is third in baptisms among Baptist churches in the Alaska Baptist Convention.

  • Fishing in South Dakota

    Mobberly's second church plant was launched in Spearfish, S.D., in 2011 under the leadership of Pastor Doug Hixson. Connection Church has since relocated to a larger facility, added a second service, and has planted a churches in Belle Fourche, S.D., and Sturgis, S.D.

  • Fifth Worship Gathering Added in Longview

    A fifth worship gathering is added as 11 Alive is added to follow 9:30 Live in The Crossing. Both services would later be renamed The Crossing.

  • The Bridge Opens

    Bridge 111130 006In January, 2012, Mobberly opens The Bridge, a two-story, 55,000 square foot ministry and education building. It would become the hub for Sunday Connect Groups for 1st - 6th graders, as well as host most adult Connect Groups and many Discovery Courses and activities throughout the week.

  • Embarking on a Crazy Big Mission

    In April, 2012, Mobberly kicks off Crazy Big Mission, a capital campaign to reduce debt, provide funds for expansion and fund local and global mission opportunities.

  • Williams Lake & Land Addition

    Williams3In June, 2012, Mobberly members voted to purchase 87 acres of land north of the campus to expand current ministry opportunities and provide for future growth.

  • Church Plant Launched in England

    Mobberly's third church plant, Heritage Church in Preston, England, was launched in 2012.

  • First Bay Area Church Plant Added

    LifePoint Church in San Francisco was planted in May, 2013.

  • Mobberly Expands to Marshall

    Marshall3Mobberly launches its first campus outside of Longview, expanding east to Marshall, Texas on Easter Sunday, 2014. The campus has met regularly at the Marshall Convention Center since its inception, with worship gatherings having also been held at East Texas Baptist University, Wiley College and Marshall High School when the convention center was unavailable. Worship gathering attendance regularly surpasses 200.

  • Adding New Partnerships

    Mobberly added to the roster of church plants, partnering with churches in Hilo, Hawaii (Ohana Church), Oakland, Calif. (New Life Community Church) and Laredo, Texas (Laredo Cross Church).

  • Family Unites For The Malawi Project

    Malawi ProjectIn October, 2015, Mobberly members from campuses in Longview and Marshall, joined by members of the community, came together to purchase and package more than 260,000 meals to send to the African nation of Malawi, which was hit by disastrous floods in previous months. Mobberly members have ministered and built relationships with people in Malawi for years, making The Malawi Project a deeply personal endeavor for many participants.

  • Second Hawaiian Church Plant

    In 2016, Mobberly began partnering with New Life Church in Kona, Hawaii.

  • Engage10K Inititiative Launched

    In August of 2016, Mobberly launched Engage10K, an initiative to engage 10,000 East Texas households with the life-changing gospel of Jesus Christ in three years. Engage10K included equipping tools such as a website, a mobile app and various in-person and video courses to give people the help they need to engage the people in their lives with the gospel. Engage10K also included a $12 million capital campaign in order to build a new preschool building, enhance Williams Lake and its adjacent land and improve the Worship Center on the Longview campus, and build a new Marshall campus building.

  • Serving The Community With The Jerusalem Project

    More than 1,100 people from Mobberly served across our Jerusalem of East Texas. In all, 66 Connect Groups joined together to serve in 81 different projects during the weeklong event in November. Some of the projects were labor-intensive, such as making exterior repairs and landscape work at the House of Disciples, assisting in the relocation of an organization that serves local foster care families, and laying sod and doing landscape work on a Habitat for Humanity home. Other projects, such as writing prayer cards for police officers, collecting toiletries for Shade Tree Ministries – which feeds and ministers to many in Longview’s homeless population – and providing meals at various shelters, were less physically demanding. The Jerusalem Project’s name comes from the words written in Acts 1:8, in which Jesus is quoted as saying, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”